Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Primitive Folk Art World

Primitive friends we are a unique special bunch aren't we? I feel sorry for the people who just don't get it. You know what I mean? This week once again I encountered a person who no matter how much I tried to explain what I do, I just seemed to dig my hole deeper into this crazy awesome world of primitive folk art. I finally had to give up and walk away knowing they think I am completely nuts.

Living in the city in Texas does not help at all. My heart is in the country farm town that I was raised in. In my world, I imagine myself in a Little House on the Prairie world. Let me say that I feel very much like an alien in the middle of this fast paced city life. To me, people here are running so hard and fast that they do not know how to stop and enjoy the very simple things in life that money can't buy.

I encountered "one of those" this week. This lady came over and saw that I was sitting at the table painting and sewing some of my vegetables. I saw the look on her face like she was not impressed at all. She asked, "well what do you do with them"? I tried to explain that if you lived in an old farmhouse they would look so awesome in an old wooden bowl on an old kitchen table. She picked up the piece of corn I was working on and I could tell she just could not picture it in her fancy pants house... It was as if she thought she picked up something that had germs on it. She then felt like she had to let me know that she knew no one who would want anything like this. She told me she could imagine people in the hills of Tennessee maybe wanting them... Hmmmm, was she calling me a hillbilly? I was getting more and more upset in my mind. She then said " People really buy these on eBay?" I tried to explain again. Defending a world that I love. It has happened so many times before. Trying to explain why my dolls eyes look like they do, why I have a pan of grose tea mixture on the stove, why my fingers are brown from tea stains and why all my shirts have paint spots on them...

I give up... I have a choice. I can choose to let her make me feel inferior with her snooty insults or I can choose to realize that I am the rich one. I am the one who is able to take the most simple things in life and turn them into memories that make people stop and smile. I am the rich one for having so many friends who are like me in this world of prim. I am the rich one for I can see the heart that goes into each beautiful creation that my friends come up with. I love being happy for my friends when their dolls get so many bids on eBay. I love how even though many of my friends I have never met, yet I feel so close to and know that they would be there for me when I needed them.

I am the rich one. When my days are over, I think it is awesome that some of the things I have created are out there making people smile and giving people memories, reminding people of the days when simple things were the richest things in life.



I borrowed this picture from another blog. Hope it is okay. It is an example of us. I thought it was cute and it made me smile. Tammie

4 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

I have been in your shoes. It is difficult to explain to people about prim. Why would you buy something that looks dirty and not "new." I too try to explain to people how I decorate, but they just don't get it.

Keep doing what your doing because there are people out there that get it.

Mary

Andrea said...

I know exactly how you feel! I've tried telling friends what I do, and they look at me, and my creations and think I am some nutcase. LOL! I usually give up trying to explain it all. There isn't a whole lot in the way of prim around here.

Blessins,
Andrea

MISS PRUDENCE said...

INDEED WE FOLKY PEOPLE DO SEE THE WORLD THROUGH A DIFFERENT LENS.. HOW BLESSED ARE WE TO SEE SUCH EVERY DAY THINGS IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT...WE CAN NEVER EXPLAIN OUR WORKS TO THOSE THAT WILL NOT UNDERSTAND AS IT IS NOT IN THEIR HEARTS..
HOW BLESSED WE FOLKY PEOPLE ARE TO LIVE OUR DREAMS THROUGH OUR WORKS...
KEEP YOUR DREAMS ALIVE IN YOUR WORKS AS THEY ARE WONDERFUL.....

Merrie. said...

You know, that lady must lead a very sad, joyless life; she must feel so inferior that she has to project that inferiority on to those that she meets. How sad that she will never know the joy of making something out of nothing. Even if she did not like the style of the items, the old adage if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all should have applied. I don't know what people think they will accomplish by being so nasty and confrontational. I have a friend who I still care for, who said when I showed her the house I was going to rent in the country; said she couldn't believe that I wanted to rent that old house and live so far away; why we didn't even have a mall! Well I did move in and later bought my lil old prim house; I wanted it for the LAND! The house will have to do for now; it is where I am , for now. One day I want to move to Tenn. where my family came from; and then I can be one of them hill folk. I am proud to be from them hill folk; I love the smell of dirt freshly plowed; grass mowed and the birds who wake me every morning with their songs. Shoot, you can't make me live in the city anymore; I am country all the way;rusty, beat up, chipped up things I love! (BTW Country is a mindset, you can be country in the city; its gotta be in your heart!) Sorry; I am so long winded; but I love your things; don't ever stop. And Im sorry for your loss too; what a shame; he looks like a nice man; we have too few of them already. Merrie